Come and learn how to fix your bike!
These courses have been designed to tackle the most common faults with bikes and are aimed at people who are new to bike maintenance. The pace is relaxed, enabling lots of time for questions and classes are limited to just 4 to ensure everyone is well supported.
They are a great stepping stone to enable users to make more full use of our Bring Your Own Bike sessions that run every Wednesday – giving participants a chance to consolidate and grow their learning in a supportive environment.
Click to jump to one of the following courses
One : One training
Bike Maintenance: M check, Basic Maintenance + Puncture Repair
Dates TBC. Saturdays – 10-12.30 – £45
A perfect way to get to know your bike, this course is aimed at those who want an easy introduction into bike maintenance and tackles some of the most commonly needed skills. We will work solely on your bike.
- To begin with you will run through a guided safety check, enabling you to spot existing faults and prevent new ones developing.
- We then cover puncture repair, with tips on removal and replacement of the wheel and how to do this by the road side.
- Basic general maintenance – how to keep on top of simple adjustments,
For booking, see the calendar below :
Bike Maintenance – Brake and Gear Adjustments
10am – 1pm – £50. Saturdays – Feb 25th (FULLY BOOKED, March 25th, April 22nd)
In this session we tackle basic brakes and gears. We will learn on a fleet of our bikes to get to grips with the fundamentals – including pad replacement on brakes and setting limits, indexing gears & checking chain wear with our gears. Once we’ve got a good understanding we’ll take a look at your own bike to see how we can apply our learning to your own bikes so please bring it with you. There will be time to addressing simple issues ourselves and troubleshooting others – as the course is designed as a precursor to the Bring Your Own Bike sessions you will be well supported to get your bike running as it should for anything that we can’t tackle in this one session.
- How to remove and replace brake pads.
- How to balance your brakes and prevent squeaking.
- General brake maintenance, including cable replacement. Please note, this course does not cover bleeding hydraulic brakes, but will go cover adjustments.
- How to index your gears and set limits. (Does not cover electronic shifting)
- How to maintain your drivechain and when to replace it.
One 2 One training – £35 p/hour
We often have requests to cover subjects that fall outside our regular course content, and require more support than we can give at the weekly Bring Your Own Bike sessions. To help, we’re now offering One 2 One sessions. With these sessions we can deliver focussed course content to achieve your goals and help empower you to tackle more than ever with your own bike. Here are a few examples of sessions we’ve delivered:
- Preparing for a transcontinental race – with a focus on roadside repairs, what to tools and spares to take and packing and unpacking the bike for travel.
- Converting a beloved road bike to flat bar for a more comfortable ride
- Help servicing and adapting a bike ready for a year long bike tour
- ‘Get to know your bike’ sessions – highlighting how to get the most out of their bike, and general maintenance tips.
We’d love to hear what you want to achieve and we can help you – so to find out more and discuss your needs, speak to Sam by emailing [email protected] or by calling 07544314749 Wed – Sat.